Tuesday, October 31, 2006

If I hear one more rooster at 4 AM...10.17.06

Greetings from the hottest country in the world – I actually think that's true and if not, I'm not exaggerating. I knew it would be hot here, but I didn't really grasp how hot it would be. I'm surviving quite well in my new home and slowly adapting to the change of climate. It's very dry here because I'm pretty much in the desert, but it's gorgeous. I'm surrounded by the falaise, which means the cliffs and the Falaise de Bandiagara is where the Dogon people live and they are the cliff dwellers. I haven't visited yet, but I have some fellow volunteers who live in Dogon villages in the cliffs. I cannot wait to see that, it's going to be spectacular.

After some initial problems with my house, including some bad water leaking, things seem to have been patched up quite well and I'm trying to get situated. I took a trip to Sevare, my regional capital, to order some bamboo furniture, so I have to wait until about November 10th to get that here. So, it's kind of a pain still sleeping on the floor or ground, but it's like camping…for two years. But my goal is to have all things here situated by the end of November, so that will be really good I hope.

I haven't really been up to a whole lot. Between now and January when I return to Bamako for more training, my job here is to integrate into the community and learn and practice my languages. So, I don't have any work to do which is difficult. I went from being super busy at school to having a scheduled life here to nothing now. I've been going to the radio station everyday to hang out though and get to know my working counterparts, so it's good. All and all, things are well and I'm really starting to like it here so that's exciting. I'm sure that after I'm comfortable with my surroundings and language skills I'll really love it here.

I hope you're all doing well and that school/work/life is treating you well.

Take care and we'll talk soon!