Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Tribute to a Great Man

Ed driving the boat we rented on Tim's Ford Lake, near our home in Tennessee.

On February 11, 2007 – while Jose and I were vacationing in Timbuktu – my Mom called me with tragic news that Ed, her fiancé and the love of her life, was killed in an accident. I was so far away and felt terrible that I wasn’t there to console her. Ed had just taken a job with a company where he was on the road driving a truck/tractor trailer across the country. He was on his way home for a Valentine’s Day surprise when the accident occurred in West Virginia.

Even though I wasn’t home to console my Mom, my brother and sister and other friends and family were able to pick up where I couldn’t, and see my Mom through this tough time. They were fabulous. Flowers and cards were sent, everyone who could come did, and despite the circumstances, everything was under control. Thanks to all of you who were there and who sent your condolences.

I just want everyone to know how important Ed was, not only for my Mom, but for me and our family. We had some really great times with him and he was a very supportive father for me. He supported me in DC at school and in my decisions to move across the world to help others. Most importantly, he loved and cared about us.

Here’s just a small tribute to you, Ed. We miss you and love you.



Ed and Mom at her 50th birthday party.


Me, Mom, Ed and our waiter on our Carribbean cruise.


The funeral was held in Tennessee on February 16, 2007. May you rest in peace.

Gorgeous floral heart from my brother, sister and I. Included is a photo of my Mom and Ed from one of their cruises together.