Wednesday, September 12, 2007

September 13, 2007 - Ramadan Begins

Tomorrow is the beginning of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan. I’ve Wikipedia searched a short exerpt for your reading pleasure:

“The third pillar of Islam, which is fasting, is practiced during the month of Ramadan. Ramadan is derived from an Arabic word for intense heat and scorched ground. (in Arabic: رمضان, Ramaḍān) – – and it is the ninth month of the Islamic (Hijri) calendar, established in the year 638 CE. It is considered the most venerated, blessed and spiritually-beneficial month of the Islamic year. Prayers, fasting, charity, and self-accountability are especially stressed at this time; religious observances associated with Ramadan are kept throughout the month.

"Ramadan is the month during which the Quran was revealed, providing guidance for the people, clear teachings, and the statute book. Those of you who witness this month shall fast therein. Those who are ill or traveling may substitute the same number of other days. Allah wishes for you convenience, not hardship, that you may fulfill your obligations, and to glorify Allah for guiding you, and to express your appreciation."[2:185]”

Last year Ramadan started shortly after I arrived. With trying to assimilate into Mali, I didn’t give fasting a second chance. I was already losing enough weight due to sickness. So, I’ve survived a whole year here and I’ve decided that I want to step up my acceptance/assimilation process and observing Ramadan is a good way to try that.

Now, here are some differences between a Malian fast and the Sara Rosen fast. Malians will wake up at 4 AM-ish (before sunrise), pray, eat and go back to sleep until they have to start their days. They will continue throughout the day to ingest nothing – this includes saliva. At 6 PM-ish (at sunset/prayer call), iced cold drinks, tea and fried foods will all be ready for the break fast. Malians will drink and eat a little, saving most of their appetite for dinner. Repeat steps 1 through 5 for 30 days.

The Sara Rosen fast will consist of the following. I will wake up around 5:30 everyday to eat breakfast, going back to sleep until at least 8 (I hope!). I will continue throughout the entire day without eating, but I will be drinking water. My abstention from drinking will include juices, sodas and alcohol. Frankly, if I didn’t drink water for one hot Malian day, I would not be well. At the break fast, I will let Malian’s enjoy their cold drinks and fried foods, and I will enjoy whatever fruit is seasonally available. Dinner will definitely be something for me to look forward to every night (recipes during this month are warmly accepted and greatly appreciated!).

As the most spiritually beneficial month of the year, I’m really going to take this opportunity to become more introspective and spiritual. Whether that means taking 10 minutes a day to meditate and reflect on my day or to actually start practicing Yoga, I don’t know yet. But, I need to figure it out, soon!

It’s going to be a tough month, but I think it will be really beneficial to my overall psyche. Updates along the way are certain and a personal thoughts post at the end of the month (after the fete!) is certain also.

Wish me luck!

P.S. I’ve also started a small experiment. It’s obvious that there will be some connection between not eating and losing some inches. So, I’ve already taken my measurements and will continue to do so each week throughout the month to see what the correlation is. Results forthcoming!