Friday, January 09, 2009

Ameriki Greatness Part I: The Arrival and TN

In dire need of a vacation, I board a flight from Bamako to Dakar. I'm also in need of medical attention that can't be taken care of in Mali, so I'm off to Dakar first. I miss Tabaski, the best holiday in Mali, because I'm in Dakar. Saving grace? Mary Virginia. Where was I? Right, so then after 24 hours of Grey's Anatomy, I board the majestic Delta flight from Dakar to Atlanta. It's almost 4 AM, I'm tired, but I want to watch movies because it's been so long. Didn't happen. I couldn't concentrate at all! 9 hours later I'm in Atlanta. Sensory overload! I don't know what to do...there are white people everywhere and more options than I can imagine in terms of shopping and eating. I hurry to my new terminal and wait, surveying many passers-by to see what good they've just purchased. I finally settle on a Starbucks Peppermint Mocha. I retreat back to the gate only to watch it pour rain outside. But wait, it's December? How is there rain? Oh right, I'm in a country where it can rain any day of the year, not only for 2 months during "rainy season." I'm overwhelmed by a lot during my first hours in America but I do my best to overcome the uneasiness.

These were my first few hours and they were difficult. I hadn't been back to America in 20 months and it was quite shocking. But that was it...I was back in America. After 20 long months of Peace Corps, I was ready for a vacation. I finally arrived in TN around 7PM and was so excited to see my Mom! I didn't stay up too late because I had a hair appointment first thing the next day. Trust me, if you had seen my hair you would have done the same thing! It hadn't been cut in 2 years. Scary.


The new 'do - swangs and the use of a curling iron. Genius.

2 days later my Aunt Liz was coming to visit, but I didn't know that I'd be surprised by my brother and nephew also! Liz, Rick and Eli all flew down from NY to say hey and see me which was really unexpected. We had a pleasant weekend together hanging out at home, playing Scrabble (who knew 9 year olds played Scrabble?) and went to a Christmas parade and celebration in my Mom's town.

Rick and Eli arrive at the airport to greet me and Mom! I last saw Eli in 2006 and barely recognized him now.


My handsome nephew, school Aunt Liz in Scrabble. He's so cute.


I was more shocked/enthralled by this horse due to its size! Malian horses are scrawny! They were giving horse carriage rides but Santa wasn't too jolly when we arrived 3 minutes late - he said no more rides.


Mom and her best friend Liz!

Their departure brought about the arrival of my Grandmother, and then right before Christmas my sister and niece drove out from North Carolina. It was a really great Christmas gift to have the opportunity to see everyone in my family. Though I saw Mom and Beth recently when they came to visit in Mali, I haven't seen my niece Emilee since my high school graduation in 2002! Needless to say, it was so shocking to see her - she's 15 now! Nonetheless, it was great to get reacquainted with her as an adult and to talk about how cool it is to live in Africa! We had a pretty stellar Christmas and I got to hand out all of my African wares. I think everyone was pretty happy and I was too.
Mom should have been a baker! Her cakes and cookies are gorgeous and tasty! This is in preparation for our trip to Nashville to visit family.

This is the power of being named Sara - you're able to show up wearing the same outfit. This is my cousin Sara and this is the second time we've shown up wearing the same outfit. The Power of Sara!



Mom with her red leather clutch made by Diakite here in Mali. She loved it!


Grandma with a photo of Baba and I.

Emilee and Beth - thrilled to be wearing antlers!


Pretty awesome to have 4 generations of the Rosen's all together at one time! A photographic opportunity indeed! Me, Mom, Beth, Grandma and Emilee.

On December 26th, my sister sick with bronchitus, Beth, Emilee and I got in the car and I drove them back to NC through the Smoky Mountains. Now, I could go on about how I haven't driven in 2 years and I had to drive through the mountains, etc., but suffice it to say I was white knuckled most of the way! Yikes.

Just a special shout out thanks to Mom. You made my trip home awesome and even though we didn't get any "Mom/Daughter" time together, we'll have plenty of it to come in the future. Mix in a little momliness and it'll all be alright. Miss you and love you!