Sunday, January 25, 2009

A Note on Bargaining in America

To get right to it, I'm a damn good bargainer here in Mali. A vendor of whatever will give me a price and it's rare I can't get him/her down more than half the price. It's a fine tuned art that many American's are uncomfortable with. It's just not something we have to deal with everyday.

While in DC, feeling in my element, I decided to try bargaining. I tried three times and failed all three times. The first time was a taxi ride - he wouldn't budge. The second time was at Jumbo Slice - I tried to get a free slice. The guy went back and forth with me and acted like he was going to bargain. But the total was $14.50 and I put $10 on the counter. He proceeded to ask me where the rest was. I asked him where my deal was and he said, "Well, you're getting the box for free." Hmm, last time I checked, a cardboard box came with take out pizza.

I was a little disappointed that it didn't work at all. And, I'm nervous about what the future holds for me an my remarkable bargaining skill. Will it die altogether if I re-establish myself in America? Will I ever be able to use it again? I think Farmer's Markets are fair game, but where else?

Suggestions are welcomed and appreciated!